Favorite Quotes

  • "We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Here's to Strong Women







So what do you say? How about a little:

I love the Cranberry Triathlon because it's local with a pretty venue. Sometime this past winter my good friend (aka Swim Coach) Jen and I agreed we would participate in the Tri as a relay team. She likes to swim, I like to bike, we would just need a runner.

During Tough Mudder training this past winter I met a new friend that helped me with all kinds of running tips. Not only does she run, but she's good at it and actually enjoys it! So I hit her up. Our conversation went something like this:

 "Lisa would you want to do the run leg of a Sprint Triathlon for Jen and I?" she says "Whaaat??? No I couldn't - I wouldn't want to let you down but WOW that sounds fun OK! and I will work really hard on my running" 



Yay!!!! We have a team. I sign us up as the the "Fit Hick Chicks" we are all from country towns.

Another Tough Mudder, Jen (aka Mother of 5) posts (somewhat impulsively) on Facebook (just 2 weeks prior to event) the link to the Cranberry Tri "Anyone interested in doing this as a relay team?" She later told me she honestly didn't think anyone would respond. Ha Ha - be careful what you ask for! She gets 2 takers. Crystal, who agrees to swim. She admits to being a strong swimmer in High School but hasn't been in the pool in 9 years! Wendy a mother of 2 agrees to bike, but is worried because she states "I only have my old clunky Mountain bike" Oh well no worries - they have a team and sign up as "Team Strong" HOORAH! 

The excitement mounts over the next couple of weeks. We are swimming, biking, running, and getting excited! My sister is kind enough to let Wendy borrow her road bike for race day! Crystal gets in the pool with us - Yup she can swim alright! She's an athlete! This is going to be fun - We are Women and We are STRONG!

                                                               


So comes the day; we are ready. Swim leg is first - it's always a little somber down by the water. There is something about looking out at those buoys all set up in the water - looks and feels nothing like the clear clean water of a pool. It's a 1/2 mile swim (a tad long for a Sprint) and we would later find out it was actually closer to a .6 mile swim! 

                                                              
                                                                  
                                                                 
                                                                 

Jen and Crystal are off in their Royal blue swim caps. I always love to watch the athletes swimming -perhaps because for a long time it was the event that intimidated me the most. I only watch to the second buoy and make my way to the bike transition; why? Because I know Jen will be quick!

I am waiting at my bike as my son runs by "Mom get ready!! Jen is coming! she is one of the first blue caps out of the water!" ... " Mom she passed some people in the waves in front of her!" Oh geesh no pressure or anything. Sure enough here she comes. She's wet, she's tired, but she is quick. I yell to her "Awesome Job!" I unwrap the timing chip from her ankle, put it around mine and I'm off! Of course I don't set my bike computer - I never do in these things - I get too anxious and too excited. But I know I pedal as hard as I can. I am not tired from the swim and don't have to save my legs for the run. So I pedal pedal pedal. Before I know it the 14.2 mile ride is over! I come into transition and there is Lisa - quite funny, she doesn't say a word to me, I know she is anxious and has a look of pure determination on her "game face" She rips the timing chip from me and is off!
                                                             

Jen (runner from Team Strong) reports Crystal is in from the swim and Wendy is en route on the bike. Man this is fun! We have a huge cheering crowd there. Yup our families, friends, Team leader Liz Martins and several other peeps from Team Strong show up to cheer us on! This is amazing and wonderful - The support means more than you know!

We make our way to the finish as both runners are out on the course - It won't be long now.

And here she comes, Lisa sprinting to the finish - with her flaming red hair! She is awesome! We are yelling and cheering for her the whole way! 

A short time later the amazing mother of 5 sprints to the finish as well! We cheer, we hug, and we are jubilant! There is nothing like being part of a team!


Jen and Lisa (runners)
Rhonda & Wendy cyclists hence the funny shorts

We all hug, kiss, and praise each other. We are on a high from feelings of accomplishment, camaraderie, and admiration for one another. We all agree we will definitely be doing this again next year!



Yup we do everything but think to check the results board - but who would have thought:


Whaaaat??  Fit Hick Chicks for the win!! Yea that took me a few days to get over that one. We missed the ceremony - I mean how awesome would that have been to have gotten our Trophies together as a team. Jen and I went the next day to watch some friends compete in the Olympic Distance Tri and went searching through the box for our trophies. But I finally came to terms with the fact that we have our memories, each other, and the win! And that is priceless.


missing our teammate here - But that's ok - Picture re-do below:




And how's this for pretty dang awesome?? In reviewing the results......after just 2 weeks of pulling a team together, Team Strong placed 3rd!! That deserves a HOORAH!


















No comments:

Post a Comment